Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Regarding House GOP threat of government shutdown or government default, several commentators have questioned GOP's willingness/ability to govern. Why? Republican congressmen routinely campaign on anti-government platforms. The Federal Guv'mint is evil, sucking the life blood from all true Americans. Why is it now surprising to learn they were serious?
Friday, September 20, 2013
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Speaker John Boehner has a problem - his House caucus. I believe I have a solution for him.
U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 5: "Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a member."There are currently 200 Democratic Representatives, 233 Republican Representatives, and 2 unfilled seats in the House of Representatives; let's give those 2 seats to the GOP, for 235 GOP members. Speaker Boehner is intimidated by the so-called Tea Party faction within his party. I'm guessing that this faction represents, at most, 60% of the GOP caucus, leaving 40% more-or-less sane Republican Representatives. 40% of 235 is 94. Together with the 200 Democratic Representatives, this provides a voting bloc of 294 - more than two-thirds of the 435 House members. In fact, Speaker Boehner needs only 90 somewhat sane GOP Representatives to get two-thirds of 435 votes (=290). With the Democratic House leadership, and the leaders of the more-or-less sane GOP House members, Speaker Boehner can draft a resolution expelling the troublesome members of his caucus. Problem solved.