Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wishing 'em well (honest!)

Voting begins in Iraq under tight security
AP
30 Jan 2009
BAGHDAD - Iraqis passed through security checkpoints and police cordons to vote Saturday in provincial elections that are considered a crucial test of the nation's stability as U.S. officials consider the pace of troop withdrawals.

Recalling the joy with which I participated in our own elections back in November, I hope that our Iraqi friends experience similar joy & hope in their provincial elections today!
I further hope that polling goes smoothly, and that the results are accepted as legitimate by all parties.

Knowing that there's a better chance of election-day intimidation & violence in Iraq than anything I've ever had to face, I also applaud our Iraqi friends for their courage & hope as they go to the polls.

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment