Saturday, November 17, 2007

the gifts that keep on giving

I'll admit it: I give money to candidates, PACs, and, until recently, to DCCC & DSCC. (I've since resolved to give $ only to ActBlue and ActBlue sponsored candidates - the current so-called Democrats in Congress make me leary of supporting Dem incumbents.)

As a result of this generosity, I get lots of mail. Today I got a letter from a Democratic candidate in Washington state I'd never heard of. For all I know she's a really good candidate - and she wants me to be her friend!

I'm not complaining. In fact, I find it amusing. My circular file for unwanted mail is about 2 feet from the mail slot, so it's really easy to ignore these invitations.

I was sending $ to Dem candidate for NM-1, which happens to be my district. With each contribution I included the request that he NOT send me an acknowledgment, believing the postage was a waste of campaign $. This request was ignored, over and over. I finally stopped sending him $. In part this was just peevishness, but I justify it on more serious grounds along the lines of, "If he can't even pay attention to this simple request from a constituent, will he be attentive to his constituents if elected?"

Meanwhile, I get lots more mail than I used to.

1 comment:

  1. Dear . . . Al

    Look, we after two World Wars and the holocaust and the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and after the Roman games and after the Spanish Inquisition and after burning witches, the public-- shouldn't we call it off? I mean, we are a disease and should be ashamed of ourselves.

    And so, yeah, I think we ought to stop reproducing. But since we're not going to do that, I think the planet's immune system is trying to get rid of us.

    Well, it's too late! Look, the game is over! The game is over. We've killed the planet, the life support system. And, and it's so damaged that there's no recovery from that. And we're very soon going to run out of petroleum which powered everything that's modern & Razzmatazz about America. And, and it was very shallow people who imagined that we could keep this up indefinitely.

    Frankly, Kurt V.
    Schramsberg Reserve 2000

    ReplyDelete