Friday, November 19, 2010

Bad day at Black Rock...

Okay - the title is a bit too melodramatic, but it's been an exhausting week on the medical front, culminating in cancer center doc calling the wife last night to advise her to go to emergency room immediately or risk death by morning.
She declined the invitation, and woke up this morning.

Meanwhile, I was a nervous wreck. She probably didn't appreciate me waking her every 30 minutes to make sure she was still alive.

The blood analysis leading to the "or you'll be dead by morning" advice appears to have been tainted - today's bloodwork looked just fine (well, as 'fine' as hers ever looks!).
BUT: as soon as she was hooked up to the 'blood oxygen' gauge this morning, it alarmed. (A clothespin-like device on a finger is the 'hook-up' to the gauge.)
She's now on oxygen: an oxygen condenser for home use + five tanks for outside-the-house mobility.
We're both hoping this is a temporary expedient, and that minor surgery next Wednesday to implant a drain in her abdomen takes care of most problems.
I believe I've mentioned this before: abdominal fluid makes her look like she'll be delivering twins in December. This fluid accumulation, in addition to making her feel bloated, is exerting pressure on her diaphram, making breathing a chore.

Just in case it ever comes up in conversation: Cancer SUCKS!

5 comments:

  1. Consider Pleurx Catheter. It's a semi-permanent device that lets you drain fluid at home into a sterile vacuum bottle. My wife had them in her lungs but I believe they have for abdomen as well. And I agree, cancer sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot fathom all that you and your wife have endured these past years. I commend you for your love and devotion. Give me a call if you need and ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. That's rough. All I can offer is empty platitudes, and I know you've gotten enough of them.

    Good luck on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of you and your wife on a daily Russ-good things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck to you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete