Friday, December 21, 2018

I'm tired of winning

“We're going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ And I'm going to say, ‘No, we have to make America great again.’ You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ I said, ‘Nope, nope. We're gonna keep winning.’”
Donald Trump, 2016
Please, President Trump. You were right, I’m tired of winning.

I’m tired of winning against ISIS by withdrawing our troops from Syria, leaving 20,000 active ISIS fighters on the ground, abandoning our staunch Kurdish allies, and leaving Syria to Iran and Russia.

I’m tired of winning against North Korea by abandoning joint military exercises with our South Korean allies, declaring that North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat, proclaiming that you, Mr. President, and Kim Jong Un “fell in love,” and North Korea then announcing that it will not denuclearize until the United States eliminates its nuclear threat.

I’m tired of winning good, easy to win trade wars with both friends and foes by spending my tax dollars to bail out farmers to the tune of $12Bn for losses incurred due to retaliatory tariffs imposed by China, by driving Harley-Davidson to relocate manufacturing sites overseas to avoid retaliatory EU tariffs, by compelling GM to shutter plants in response to tariff-induced increased costs of raw materials.

I’m tired of winning trade wars by increasing our trade deficit by $10Bn since you took office.

I’m tired of winning against Saudi Arabia by allowing them to murder a journalist with impunity.

I’m tired of winning against the Saudis again by praising them for low oil prices, and then to have them, with OPEC, decide to reduce the global oil supply by cutting production.

I’m tired of winning against our own intelligence and military establishments by undercutting them at every turn, denying their findings and rejecting their advice.

I’m tired of winning and Making America Great Again by consistently, repeatedly embracing our enemies and disrespecting our allies.

I’m tired of winning against desperate refugees by incarcerating and killing children.

I’m tired of winning against our environment by denying the reality of human-caused climate change, by giving away our public lands to extractive industries, and by gutting our clean air and clean water laws.

I’m tired of winning against our top-ranked schools and universities by funding abstinence-only sex education, by discouraging foreign students from applying to our universities, and by supporting rapacious for-profit colleges at the expense of our earnest students.

I’m tired of winning against We the People by restricting our voting rights, and ignoring clear cases of REPUPLICAN voter fraud.

Yes, Mr. President. I am, as you predicted, tired of winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment