Thursday, September 3, 2009

Do Obama's speech-writers need help?

Here's some, free of charge (worth every penny!)
When our Constitution was adopted by the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787, the Framers of that remarkable document made it abundantly clear just what they hoped it would accomplish. All of us have had to memorize the Preamble at some point in our lives:
We the People of United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, ensure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
"We the People of the United States, in Order to... promote the general Welfare... do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Now, when I think of "We the People", I have in mind the citizens of the United States. Those who voted for me, and those who didn't.
I have in mind the bus-boys, waiters, and waitresses we meet every day. I have in mind the teachers who gave me an education, the policemen who keep my community safe, the repairmen who keep my appliances running, and the mechanics who service my car.
I have in mind the soldiers who risk their lives in defense of this, the greatest country on earth.

When I think of "We the people", I have in mind the 9.7% of my fellow Americans who are out of work, and of the 5 million who have been unemployed for more than half a year. They've lost their jobs and their health coverage.

When I think of "We the People", I have in mind Marian Robinson - my mother-in-law - who raised the most wonderful woman on earth!

... and I ask, if timely access to affordable, high-quality health care doesn't count as the "general welfare" of "We the People", what does?

The Framers of our great Constitution went further.
They provided in Article I that
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States...
Again that phrase: the general welfare.

I note in passing that Article I - the very first thing the Framers established - was the Congress. Not the Executive Branch, not the Judicial Branch... but the Legislative Branch of our government.

And in the very first sentence detailing Legislative powers, our Constitution states,
The Congress shall have the power to... provide for the... general welfare of the United States.
The general welfare. The welfare of the "We the People"... Not the welfare of big corporations, or the welfare of the bottom-line of insurance companies, but the general welfare.

And again I ask: if timely access to affordable, high-quality healthcare doesn't count as "the general welfare" of "We the People", what does?
...
Okay - free advice is over.
You can take it from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment