Wednesday, September 16, 2009

a note from our nation's capital

Corny as it may sound, it was truly inspirational and delightful to visit the Capitol and walk the National Mall!... I think I was smiling pretty much continuously - and I got a lot of smiles back!

A scheduled tour conflicted with a scheduled meeting with my Representative... I opted for the tour. (I'm not very good 1:1, and really didn't have anything to tell him that I can't get off my chest via email or snailmail.) I did have a chance to speak with one of his young staffers - a fellow I knew from last fall's campaign.

Senate Gallery: saw a roll-call vote on an amendment to some bill. Bingaman & Udall both in attendance.
House Gallery: watched part of a debate on an energy bill. Republican speaker, "this will kill U.S. industry." Democratic speaker, "this will enable U.S. industry."...
... walked away from this feeling very happy that there are people willing to serve in Congress so that I don't have to!

Weather: fairly pleasant - mild temp, overcast... but the humidity is a killer for someone - like me - accustomed to NM dry.

4 comments:

  1. Replying to One Fly:
    yep! - occasion is to see Gilbert & Sullivan exhibit at the Smithsonian, and meet the fellow whose collection is on display.
    Making it a mini-vacation with a couple of days of touristy stuff.
    Staying with high school friend in Takoma Pk, MD - the fellow featured in YouTube video posted previously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise a good point, Russ.

    I think the system would function better if 'representatives' were selected by lottery, for one 6 or 8 year terms (long enough to learn the system and the rules), after which you received a pension and all the meds you could use...

    At a minimum, it might mean everyone, being liable to be selected, would have incentive to pay attention to more than the fantasy leagues???

    Nah, never mind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun, we'll need to have another curmudgeons meeting to let you tall us all about it.

    ReplyDelete