Tuesday, September 1, 2009

If "life" were a Venn diagram

... "life", "religion", & "politics" are NOT co-extensive.

"Life" is the big box.

"religion" and "politics" are perhaps intersecting circles within this big box.

I am reminded of this - again - following "The Music Man".

Me - I'm a radical progessive.
... I also sing in a Lutheran choir... (tho' I characterize myself as "agnostic": for me the proposition, "God exists" is undecideable)

But - I know for sure that at least one of my cast-mates is a Baptist Sunday-school teacher... who's also a "G-Obama" Democrat.
And - one of my cast-mates included in the programme bio:
"Initium sapientiae timor domini." ("The beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord.")

Did we fight endlessly? Were we at odds constantly?
Was the show a horrible experience for having to confront one another???

No!

Life, politics, and religion are NOT coextensive!
This is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment