Monday, March 5, 2012
"Bomb, bomb, bomb... "
On the other hand (... and there are a LOT of 'other hands'):
1. Does Sen. McCain have a PLAN in mind should we somehow succeed, by bombing, to oust Assad?... or is Syria's descent into chaos just okay?
(See, e.g., Libya.)
2. I'm just a bit skeptical of yet ANOTHER military intervention! - Seems to me this one could, without too much imagination, be construed as "waging a war of aggression", which is formally a War Crime.
3. Yes, I feel deeply for the Syrians opposing Assad's regime... but this IS an INTERNAL political & humanitarian mess... Syria is NOT threatening the U.S.
4. The GOP's "solution" to EVERY international crisis is ALWAYS, "Bomb, bomb, bomb... bomb, bomb Assad!" (You may freely, with perhaps some loss of lyrical integrity, substitute just about ANY country's/tyrant's name into this lyric.)
5. There will ALWAYS be tyrants who violently suppress their citizens. On this I agree with Ron Paul: since when did it become incumbent on the U.S. to police the world? (We've managed to disengage with sub-Saharan Africa for decades!)
On the flip side: IF Sen. McCain presented a coherent plan, I might be more attentive.
BUT - I suspect all he has is "Bomb, bomb, bomb... bomb, bomb Assad!"
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
(Wasn't all that much fun.)