Tuesday, September 21, 2010

just curious

I think of English as a rich language, with words and constructions derived from lots of languages...

... so how come the best English can do for adult romantic involvements is "girlfriend" and "boyfriend"???
It's simply absurd that my retired friend, a UNM professor, is constrained to call his significant other his "girlfriend".
It is simply absurd that my adult friend's male significant other must be called her "boyfriend".

"Girlfriend" and "Boyfriend" are well-suited as descriptors of high school romances... but NOT of adult relationships!
Can't English do better?

2 comments:

  1. Wonkish:
    Significant other is rather vague and bland, lover a little too much information, main squeeze too crude. The language evolved around the fact that adults were married and that wife and husband were most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no poetry in your souls, gentlemen. Aside from dipping into other languages (which is doable, and provides options like "inamorato"), this is a subject where you aren't expected to stay entirely formal. And you can get brownie points for the flowery language, too, which is a bonus.

    Just off the top of my head, "This is ...
    ...my companion
    ...the love of my life
    ...my confidante
    ...my main squeeze
    ...my date
    ...my heart
    ...my friend
    ...my soul mate
    ...my sweetheart
    ...my steady
    ...my sweet patootie"

    or even
    "This is Annette" (you know, in my case.

    ReplyDelete