Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Yeah, it's a really bad idea... BUT!

Pressure rises on pastor who wants to burn Quran
By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer
7 Sep 2010
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The government turned up the pressure Tuesday on the head of a small Florida church who plans to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11, warning him that doing so could endanger U.S. troops and Americans everywhere.
First let me be clear: I think this fundie pastor's plan is abhorrent.

BUT: That bit about the government "warning him that doing so could endanger U.S. troops" reminds me a lot of Nixon/Agnew rhetoric used against anti-war protestors in the '60s and '70s: that anti-war protests gave aid and comfort to the enemy.

It's about US. To the extent that burning Qurans is symbolic speech - and it's hard to interpret it otherwise - it is protected under the First Amendment.
For the government to attempt to restrict this speech is wrong.
Flag-burning is likewise fully protected symbolic speech.

Again, I'd hope that Pastor Terry Jones would reconsider his plans, but if he doesn't, it's his right!

5 comments:

  1. I would guess Fox is saying he has that right and agree to that.

    I also bet they would not take the same position if it were a flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well... I'd like to think I have more principles than Fox...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guy pastors a church of 50 people and is getting world wide recognition. It's not about book burning it's about publicity. I don't think he deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No news organization is obligated to cover the event... but all of 'em probably will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some friends who are staging a counter-protest. Rights, right and left.

    ReplyDelete