Thursday, January 21, 2010

SCOTUS rules

Supreme Court: Campaign-finance limits violate free speech
5-4 (guess which Justices are in the majority!)
Majority opinion written by Kennedy - not by one of the crazies.
“Government may not suppress political speech on the basis of the speaker’s corporate identity,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the 57-page majority opinion. “No sufficient governmental interest justifies limits on the political speech of nonprofit or for-profit corporations.”
I'm not sure that I buy the bit about "no sufficient governmental interests".
And, I find it interesting that the majority are the self-proclaimed precedent-respecting, non-activist folks!
In a landmark 5-to-4 decision announced Thursday, the high court overturned a 1990 legal precedent and reversed a position it took in 2003, when a different lineup of justices upheld government restrictions on independent political expenditures by corporations during elections.
For what it's worth:
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
... and I'm sad to say that I suspect if pressed I'd side with the free-speech argument. (Long ago, as a grad student, I found myself rather uncomfortable attempting to defend restrictions on political speech of just the sort the Justices were here considering.)

Why make any pretense.
Welcome to the Plutocracy of America!

No comments:

Post a Comment