Monday, January 18, 2016

How to stop the "lone wolf" assassin, part 2

No, this won't work.
But it won't hurt, either.

Teach civics.

Every once in a while I cite my 8th-grade civics text, Your Rugged Constitution.
This is not a bad place to start to encourage students to embrace basic citizenship.

As I think about it, there may be an even better book to help teach citizenship: All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten:
1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put thngs back where you found them.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Yeah, not terribly profound... BUT - not bad advice, either.

Short of confiscating all our guns, encouraging neighbors to spy on each other, and monitoring our every move, teaching basic human values - civics - seems to me the best way to combat the "lone wolf".
Love your neighbor as yourself.
(Leviticus 19:18)
It's not clear to me that any of the GOP candidates knows this... or simply knows basic civics.

No comments:

Post a Comment