Thursday, January 22, 2009

I was being sarcastic - honest!

My previous blog ("al Qaeda in Albuquerque" - entire content attached to this blog) was named to tweak W. I somewhat sarcastically hoped that the name would compel some nameless NSA functionary to keep tabs on me, and keep that same nameless functionary from harassing one of my likewise innocent fellow citizens.

Turns out I might not have been too far off.
Former NSA analyst Russell Tice has been revealing to Keith Olbermann on Countdown that NSA really has been intercepting/analyzing private phone, email, computer, fax, credit card, etc., transactions of just regular Americans.

I need to spend some time getting thoughts in order - probably for a later post.
But - my initial response to this news is to question the very idea of government secrecy & classification.
The Declaration speaks of Government deriving its just powers from the consent of the governed.
In modern parlance, "consent" implies informed consent.
Government secrecy and classification precludes us granting our informed consent to our Government.

In recent years the amount of stuff formally "classified" seems to have mushroomed (though who can really know???).

Initial response: start from scratch.
Everything now "classified" to be made public record, now, today, immediately.
What really needs to be kept secret (e.g., identities of spies, new methods, new technologies) to be justified on a case-by-case basis.

As stated above - I need to reflect on this, get my thoughts together... channel my visceral mistrust of Government.

Till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment