Friday, April 24, 2009

Just for the sake of argument: suppose it DID work (redux)

For the sake of argument, grant the premise: "Torture worked. It kept us safe."

Safe from WHAT?

In fact, I feel LESS SAFE knowing that my government asserted its right to surveil me, detain me indefinitely without charges, torture me, render me to a "black site"; and asserted these powers in secret, without my consent.

... and I'd feel even less safe if I believed that a majority of my fellow citizens had, in fact, consented to this!

Renouncing our values to "save" ourselves is absurd!
If we renounce our values and - more the point - our Constitution, we're LOST, not saved!

1 comment:

  1. Those who give up their liberties for temporary safety, get neither liberty or safety... Benjamin Franklin

    Man is born free, but everywhere I look he is in chains... Voltaire

    ReplyDelete