Saturday, April 11, 2009

Personal myths

I use "myth" in the sense of Joseph Campbell: stories told to help us make sense of the world.
(As opposed to "myth" as fable or falsehood.)

Tonight... well, actually, Friday night... was the beginning of the third weekend of Sullivan & Gilbert at Albuquerque's Adobe Theater.
My eldest sister & her husband attended the performance.
During summers following 6th-, 7th-, and 8th-grades I lived with my sister & brother-in-law in Woods Hole, MA. Every weekend we attended a Gilbert & Sullivan performance at Highfield Theater in Falmouth, MA, presented by The Oberlin College Gilbert & Sullivan Players.
From then till now, I have been a G&S addict.

My personal "myth" - a unifying theme throughout my life? - my involvement with Gilbert & Sullivan.
From entranced patron as a youth, to involvement with G&S productions in college (always in "techincal" role), to stage-managing G&S productions in the Army & afterwards in El Paso, and, finally, to performing in G&S productions - starting at age 42!
My role as "Sullivan" in Sullivan & Gilbert is but the latest chapter in this tale.

After tonight's performance, my brother-in-law - he who helped introduce me to G&S many years ago - commented, "This brings back fond memories of Highfield!"...

Each of us has many personal myths: narratives that help us make sense of our lives.
For me, one of these personal myths is my continuing engagement with Gilbert & Sullivan.

'Twas G&S that inspired my current love of choral music.
'Twas G&S that inspired my "acting" hobby.
'Tis G&S that I hum to myself when doing chores.

What are your myths?

No comments:

Post a Comment