Monday, May 12, 2008

A potentially money-making proposition...

... for any chemists out there:

Put together a proposal for TSA:
To determine if, using off-the-shelf components, it is in fact possible to formulate a two-component liquid explosive in a garage lab.
My upcoming travel brings this to mind.

My government currently believes that my mouthwash, toothpaste, and deodorant are potential weapons, and requires that I carry on only small (3 oz) containers of each, clearly displayed in a ziploc bag.

After the hoopla surrounding an alleged terror plot in Britain involving 2-component liquid explosives, TSA decided to be prudent: "Better safe than sorry."

I'm simply curious: is this scenario plausible?

Can a two-component liquid explosive be assembled from off-the-shelf components in a garage lab?

[full disclosure: McGyver notwithstanding, my a priori belief is, "No".]

Stop the madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment