Saturday, August 22, 2009

a relief...

As long-time readers know, I sing in a church choir.
St. Timothy's Lutheran Church, a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA).

I've sung with the choir for a while - 5 or 6 years, anyway.

I've always been curious about , but have never had the nerve to ask, St. Tim's position on gays - either as communicants or as clergy.

Today's headline seems to answer my question:
Conservatives mull future after ELCA lifts gay ban
The article goes on to explain:
The change to gay clergy policy passed with the support of 68 percent of about 1,000 delegates at the ELCA's national assembly. It makes the group, with about 4.7 million members in the U.S., one of the largest U.S. Christian denominations yet to take a more gay-friendly stance.
I assume that the vote to accept gay clergy means that, heretofore, ELCA had been okay with gay communicants. I don't know this - it's just a reasonable inference.

Anyway - I'm happy to learn this.

It means the church's proclamation that:
St. Timothy's is a warm and welcoming congregation that is open to you.
is honest.

And that they are not hypocrites to declare that
Everyone is welcome and needed
I apologize for my cowardice in not determining this sooner.
(I just like singing in the choir!)

No comments:

Post a Comment