Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lerner & Loewe, courtesy "The Rant" by Tom Degan

I'm a Gilbert & Sullivan fan, but any reference to musical theater providing commentary on current politics is a good thing.
Here's Tom Degan's take on passage of health insurance reform:
Tonight, old man, you did it! You did it! You did it!
You said that you would do it and indeed you did!
I thought that you would rue it, I doubted you'd do it
But now I must admit it that succeed you did!


Lerner and Loewe
from My Fair Lady
["The Rant" by Tom Degan: All Through the Night]
Again, congrats to House leadership (Speaker Pelosi, Majority Leader Hoyer, and Majority Whip Clyburn) and to Obama for getting this passed.

The referenced post from Tom Degan notes that the 1957 Civil Rights Act wasn't much to cheer about, either - but it did pave the way for LBJ's 1964 Civil Rights Act (the one we all remember).

No comments:

Post a Comment