Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sending emails...

... this time to members of a School Board in Mississippi.

You may have read about this:
Itawamba prom nixed after controversy
Seems a senior, self-avowed lesbian wanted to bring a female date to the senior prom.
Rather than allow this, the high school & school board canceled the senior prom.

Here's a link to email addresses for School Board Superintendent, the high school Principal, and sundry school board members: school board contact info.

Note: the following emails have apparently been shut down (perhaps in response to flood of unwanted mail): Eddie Hood, Harold Martin, Jackie Nichols.

... anyway, here's the note I sent:
Please reconsider the decision to cancel the senior prom at Itawamba Agricultural High School.

I am a 57-year-old, straight, married, U.S. Army veteran.
I'd like to believe my service in the U.S. Army supported my country's best interests, including the civil rights of all its citizens.

I recall growing up in what was at the time perhaps the most segregated city in America, Tulsa, Oklahoma. My high school, Tulsa Central, was closed due to race riots for several days during my senior year.
To see racial prejudice replaced by prejudice based on sexual orientation 40 years later is not encouraging.

Again, please reconsider the decision, and please allow the self-avowed lesbian student to participate fully in all school activities.
You may be surprised by the acceptance and tolerance demonstrated by the student body!

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment