Friday, March 12, 2010

Screaming Meanies

City Removes Spanish-Language Census Sign After ‘Angry’ Citizens And Lawmakers Raise A Fuss
... “If you’re here in the U.S. and can’t speak English, you need to go home,” [Prescott Councilman John] Hanna said.

Here we go again. (Or is it, "still"?)

The right (or, as they would characterize themselves, "center-right") today exhibit a xenophobia I've never before seen. Yes, I've read about the Palmer Raids, I've seen Scorsese's Gangs of New York, ... heck, I've even read Benjamin Franklin's anti-German rants!
BUT: I'd always assumed these episodes of anti-immigrant frenzy were "quaint, historical" chapters in our history.
Boy, was I wrong!

I note that in every other instance, the anti-immigrant frenzy has eventually died down, and more-or-less sane immigration policies adopted.
I can hope.

[... not to mention the chauvinism! - "If you're in America you damn well better speak English!" - this holds even for tourists! We proud Americans CAN'T SPEAK any other language! Our European friends are mostly tri-lingual (at least!). When the hicks from Prescott travel to France they expect everyone will speak English! - and are no doubt insulted to discover that not all do!]

Update: On the bright side!
1. Prescott. AZ may well be under-represented in the count. Too bad.
2. If this is what the Grand Old Party thinks is its future, I'm all for it! Hispanics are a large voting bloc - and getting larger. What's more, they're getting more engaged with politics! Tho' I suppose there'll be some self-hating Hispanic Republicans, overall I'd say the GOP's hatred of Spanish-speakers will alienate most of 'em! Welcome to the Democratic Party, y'all!

Finally: just for the irony - Here's one of the complaints lodged against George III in the Declaration of Independence:
He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment