Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'll start an annual tradition - re-running last year's Thanksgiving post:
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
It's secular - religious overtones are secondary.
It's American - the rest of world goes on happily without us.

Most of all, for me the basic premise - giving thanks - is a good thing. Yes, I am thankful for my family, for my undeserved good-fortune in life, for friends.

Most of my family is in town. None of us started out here - we all just ended up here. I've 3 sisters. 2 of 'em are in town, with their husbands. My mom is in town. My wife's folks are in town. Her sister & bro-in-law are in town. A sister's sister-in-law is in town. Our kids are in town. My daughter-in-law's folks are in town.

What this means from a Thankgiving perspective is that we enjoy a pretty phenomenal feast each year. Someone volunteers to host - this year it was my son & daughter-in-law. Host is responsible for turkey. Everything else is provided by everyone else. Everyone brings enough to feed everyone.

My bad: I do not feel guilty about this surfeit. I AM thankful!

So: Happy Thanksgiving, with friends & family!
This year bro- and sis-in-law (my wife's sister) are hosting. In addition to standard Thanksgiving, the feast will likely include tamales from a local eatery - sis-in-law Brenda almost always provides these for large gatherings!

Here's hoping you all have reason to give thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you & your blog readers! I love black friday. I did some research, and have all of my shopping preplanned to maximize savings! You would be surprised what kind of deals are out there, if you search for them.

    Custom Black Friday Sales Search

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good turkey day. True wealth is measured more by family than money. This is the day we all remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamales are teh tradicional this time of year. i remember hearing that in the old days, mamas y hitas y tias all got together and made tamales all night long...mebbe that's still going on...i hope so...

    ReplyDelete