Wednesday, October 28, 2009

in case you missed it...

However, in the course of my five months of service in Afghanistan, in both Regional Commands East and South, I have understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan. I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end. To put simply: I fail to see the value or the worth of continued U.S. casualties or expenditures of resources in support of the Afghan government in what is, truly, a 35-year civil war.
[Matthew P. Hoh, Senior Civilian Representative, Zabul Province, Afghanistan]
"My resignation is not based upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end."

Yes, indeed: why and to what end?
... and no one seems to be answering this question in the political theater currently on display in our nation's capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment