Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Infrastructure spending

I've noticed some chatter regarding last spring's stimulus bill, and how the money is being spent. Seems some of the 'infrastructure' projects are questionable: re-paving & widening roads, as opposed to rebuilding bridges.

Anyway, I am here to report that in Albuquerque, infrastructure IS being improved - I don't know if stimulus money is being used or not... well, in some instances, I know it's NOT, since the projects were undertaken well before the stimulus bill was passed.

For the past several years the two interstate highways passing thru town - I-25 & I-40 - have been upgraded. Their junction - the Big-I - was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago. Most of the I-40 overpasses & ramps have been redesigned and rebuilt. The I-40 bridge over the Rio Grande has been rebuilt.
Yes - the continuous construction has been inconvenient... BUT: the new highways, overpasses, and ramps are really quite nice!

I'm not sure whom to thank for this foresightful construction, but someone ought to get credit for directing public $$$ to serious infrastructure improvement, at least here in Albuquerque.

p.s. a digression: the Big-I - the junction of I-40 & I-25 - is the only place in New Mexico where two interstate highways intersect!

No comments:

Post a Comment