Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wow, maybe they DO listen! (part 2)

On 14 Dec 2007 I sent $ to Martin Heinrich, Dem candidate for NM-1.
As always, I accompanied $ with short letter containing "brilliant advice for the candidate." In this case, the "brilliant advice" derived from one of my blog posts (Strategic Objectives, below). My advice?
A modest suggestion: Make the United States Constitution the basis of your campaign. ALL policy issues can be subsumed under the six (6) strategic objectives articulated in the Preamble.
...
I’ll note that this does NOT make things easy. Determining the appropriate immigration policy to “form a more perfect union”, “insure domestic tranquility”, “promote the general welfare”, or “secure the blessings of liberty” is NOT easy, and well-intentioned, honest people can come to different conclusions based on the TEXT… BUT – arguing from the TEXT is not a bad place to start!
The result? Here are excerpts from Heinrich's most recent email communication:
... As I grew older I began to realize how uniquely American the liberties that we afford our citizens are, and I learned to cherish the Constitution, our nation's highest law.

With your help, I will take those values with me to Congress where I will stand up in honor of my parents, and all the American's who taught me the meaning of true patriotism. I will not shrink from the fight when I am called upon to defend the rights and liberties enshrined in the Constitution.
,,,
Unfortunately, Republicans and some Democrats in Congress have rubber stamped too many of George Bush and Dick Cheney's assaults on our Constitution. That's why we need more and better Democrats in Congress to stand up for the Constitution and protect our civil liberties and our nation's highest law.
Now I have no way of knowing that my "brilliant advice" is the source of this message, but the timing allows it, and Heinrich's previous emails have not included any reference to the Constituion.

I'm going to claim the credit whether or not I truly deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment