Friday, January 25, 2008

Gilbert & Sullivan make it to the progressive blogosphere!

From Atrios at Eschaton (a commentary on Punditry):
If I were not a little mad and generally silly
I should give you my advice upon the subject, willy-nilly;
I should show you in a moment how to grapple with the question,
And you'd really be astonished at the force of my suggestion.
On the subject I shall write you a most valuable letter,
Full of excellent suggestions when I feel a little better,
But at present I'm afraid I am as mad as any hatter,
So I'll keep 'em to myself, for my opinion doesn't matter!

[Atrios's post comes complete with video: trio patter-song from G&S Ruddigore... this is famously close to un-singable!]
Personal belief: if you can't find a G&S or Tom Lehrer quotation/lyric for it, it's not worth a commentary!

[full disclosure: I saw my first G&S production at age 9 (The Pirates of Penzance); I co-produced a college production of Ruddigore; I've sung the roles of Dick Deadeye and Sir Joseph Porter (both from H.M.S. Pinafore) in community-theater productions; I directed local community theater production of Tomfoolery - a revue of Tom Lehrer songs - in 2003.]

No comments:

Post a Comment