Thursday, January 10, 2008

In observance of an anniversary.

I have been reminded that today is the 1st anniversary of W's surge announcement. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of my positions.

1. I have nothing against the people of Iraq. I sincerely wish that they find themselves living in a peaceful, prosperous country. If this means that W's war succeeds, so be it. I just don't believe that W's war will succeed. I believe we and the Iraqis would be better off if we left Iraq's problems to Iraqis... now, today.

2. I sincerely desire a lasting peace between Israel, the Palestinians, and Hezbollah. They all inhabit a region rich in history and religious significance. They are cousins - related by blood, language (yes, Hebrew & Arabic are Semitic languages!), and religion (yes, even the Qur'an acknowledges that Jews are "People of the Book."... both traditions look to Abraham as Patriarch). I sincerely desire the Peace of Jerusalem. I just don't think W is up to it, however much he would like to secure his legacy. If he in fact does manage to shepherd a lasting peace, I will be the first to applaud.

For all my anti-W rhetoric, I will laud him if he achieves his stated goals in Iraq, Israel, and the larger Middle East.

... I just don't think his legacy will be anything but destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment