Thursday, August 28, 2008

So much for convictions (my own!)

I've several times noted my avoidance of Prez Campaign Politics.

Tonight, I ignore my convictions to highlight Sen. Barack Obama's achievement:
Democrats choose Obama in historic acclamation
I note that IN MY LIFETIME there were "Colored Only" waiting-rooms and restrooms. Blacks were forced to sit at the back of the bus. Diners were free to refuse service to Blacks. Poll-taxes and Literacy Tests precluded African-Americans from voting. (Yes - in my lifetime!)

Today? Barack Obama is the Democratic Candidate for the Presidency of the United States.
... and!... He has a pretty good shot at winning!!!

Hurray for US!

1 comment:

  1. I, too, will be watching the acceptance speech. I, too, will vote for him. In fact, I have campaigned for him in Maryland, DC, and Virginia --- see www.Flickr.com/photos/MdFriendofHillary

    But I have found the convention to be enormously depressing. He should have picked Hillary. He should have embraced the Clintons. Nearly every choice out there has been Hillary-light. Now, having snubbed half of the party, kicked two states out of the party, he has selected a VP who, hopefully, can bring along his 2,000 voters from the primaries, along with that proven vote-getting record. Shoot, he may even deliver Delaware's 3 electoral college votes.

    But he's my best hope to have justices that will preserve the Bill of Rights, sign a health care bill, and appoint 3,500 Democrats to lead federal departments, agencies and bureaus.

    And that's important. So I'll watch tonight. And I'll hope that he can instill confidence and enthusiasm, and not just reinforce the view that his petty hatred of Clintons his going to prevent him from winning the election.

    ReplyDelete