Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Is this really a good idea?

Senate OKs $15,000 tax break for homebuyers

I don't remember any tax break in 2001 to encourage folks to go out and buy dot.com stock... you know, the last bursting bubble.

Do we really want a policy that artificially supports demand?
Wouldn't it be better to let the bubble deflate??? - painful, yes... but in the long-run, better for all concerned?

I grew up in houses that cost about twice my folks' annual income.
My wife & I paid about twice our annual income for our first house.
We lucked out on our third house - the one we're still in: we bought it for an amount about equal to our joint incomes.

I just hit a website (Budget rules of thumb) that suggests, "Your home shouldn’t cost more than two-and-a-half times your gross income."
I don't know if that's reasonable, but it is in line with my experience... and my wife & I are pretty much free of debt.

So, again: why a $15K tax-break to artificially support inflated home prices???
[Note: median household income is about $50K. Median home price is just over $200K. There's a disconnect here.
2.5 x $50K = $125K... quite a bit less than $200K, even if not all households are or hope to be home-owners!]

Is it too much to ask for sensible economic policy?

1 comment:

  1. Now if that was for homeowners instead of homebuyers, I'd be for it.

    ReplyDelete